Puppy Vitamins: A Guide to the Best Puppy Supplements | Pupford
October 31st, 2023
Filed under Health + Wellness
If you’re reading this article we know that your pup means the world to you and you’re searching for the best ways to make sure they grow up healthy with puppy vitamins. Under the right circumstances, supplements and vitamins may be able to play a helpful role by enriching your pup’s dietary routine.
A healthy dog needs routine, a balanced diet, sufficient exercise, exploration, and lots of love and care. In addition, the right dietary supplements can support brain development, digestion, and decrease anxiety which is important in the early development of a puppy's life.
It is important to talk to your veterinarian for recommendations about which supplements best fit your puppy’s needs. Nothing replaces a consistent and nutritious diet, but your vet will be able to guide you on which supplements are the most beneficial for your dog’s overall health.
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) have guidelines to maintain the integrity of all commercial dog food products, ensuring that they contain the minimum vitamins, minerals, and nutrients needed for a healthy diet.
Technically, your dog should meet their minimum nutritional requirements if you are feeding them according to the label on an AAFCO-certified bag, and it is the age-appropriate formula (puppy, adult, or senior). But it is never a bad idea to be proactive about asking your vet, “Should I include supplements in my dog’s diet?”
BENEFITS OF SUPPLEMENTS FOR PUPPIES & DO THEY NEED VITAMINS?
Like humans, dogs and puppies of all ages can benefit from additional supplements and vitamins. Each puppy is unique and some will have different health and supplementation needs than others.
- Immune system support
- Aiding in digestion
- Preventing disease
- Brain, eye, and heart support
- Coordination and
- Vitamin replenishment
- Cognitive function
- Regulating blood flow
- Cell function
- Calming properties
- Anxiety reduction
- Muscle function
- Bone strength
Of course, it’s important to know the right supplements and their effects before ever giving them to your furry family member.
Let's take a look at ingredients in supplements that you want to look for on dog food bags and supplement bottles that can help support their immune system, reduce their inflammation and anxiety, and improve their cognitive development.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IMPORTANT IN PUPPY VITAMINS?
First, remember to always carefully read the label and consult a veterinarian for safe dosage advice. Here are some important ingredients you'll want in your puppy's vitamins and supplements:
- Algae - Well recognized for its brain, eye, and heart-health benefits, algae is useful for brain and eye development in young dogs, and for ongoing cognitive support throughout their lives. It contains omega-3 acids which are essential for dogs.
- Omega-3 - Dogs don't produce omega-3 fatty acids naturally, so they need to supplement them, mainly for the DHA components they contain. It helps improve brain health and can positively affect young puppies as they learn and grow.
- Organic Ashwagandha Root Powder - This is used in many issues related to stress and has the potential to enhance cognitive function, coordination, and memory.
- Taurine - This essential amino acid supports a healthy heart, immune system, and brain. It also supports strengthening muscle function and regulating blood flow.
- Vitamin E - When a dog has a deficiency in vitamin E they are potentially more at risk of future eye and nervous system.
- Chamomile - Known for calming properties in both humans and pets. Plus, it has anti-inflammatory properties and can ease signs of stress and anxiety.
- Passionflower - This popular purple flower has long been used to calm the body and relax. It is popular for humans and perfectly safe for dogs, too. Passionflower also keeps levels of serotonin and dopamine high in the body. High levels of these neurotransmitters can increase your dog's mood and improve their temperament.
- Valerian Root - Another herbal supplement that contains mild sedative properties. It puts the body in a calm and relaxed state, often helping humans and dogs with insomnia.
- L-Theanine - This amino acid promotes calmness and decreases negative behaviors that can occur out of stress. It works particularly well with separation anxiety and in situations where there are stimulants like . In some cases, it helps dogs feel more at ease during holidays with loud noises that can be stressful for pups.
- Magnesium Citrate - An essential macro mineral that helps support a healthy immune system, helps bones remain strong, maintains normal muscle function, and can help dogs clear their digestive system.
- Pumpkin - Contains Vitamins like A, C, and E, minerals such as potassium and iron, and . Magnesium is also found in pumpkins.
- Chicory Root - Effective prebiotic that helps support healthy bacteria in the gut and improves the immune system.
- Yeast Culture - Promotes digestion and utilization of nutrients. It’s rich in B vitamins and antioxidants and helps with healthy skin, hair, eyes, and liver function.
- Postbiotics - These reduce pathogens and help your dog absorb more nutrients. in the gut, improving digestion.
Here are three Pupford supplements that we recommend for pet parents that include many of the above ingredients formulated to help with one of the following benefits:
- - Supports serotonin uptake and brain balance and increases cognitive health for a more responsive and attentive pup.
- - Chamomile, Valerian Root, Passionflower, Ginger Root, Magnesium, and L-Theanine all combine to help your pup relax.
- - Helps support a healthy microbiome, promotes immunity, helps fight infections, and improves gut health.
Let's take a look at each one below.
PUPPY VITAMINS FOR FOCUS, ATTENTION & COGNITION
Puppies notoriously have short attention spans. If they see a leaf fall, hear someone sneeze, or just blink then they might lose their focus.
Here are some ingredients that can help your puppy focus and improve cognition:
Algae - Well recognized for its brain, eye, and heart-health benefits, algae is useful for brain and eye development in young dogs, and for ongoing cognitive support throughout their lives. It contains omega-3 acids which are essential for dogs.
Omega-3 - Dogs don't produce omega-3 fatty acids naturally, so they need to supplement them, mainly for the DHA components they contain. It helps improve brain health and can positively affect young puppies as they learn and grow.
Organic Ashwagandha Root Powder - This is used in many issues related to stress and has the potential to enhance cognitive function, coordination, and memory.
Taurine - This essential amino acid supports a healthy heart, immune system, and brain. It also supports strengthening muscle function and regulating blood flow.
These ingredients can help your puppy's body make proteins to support serotonin uptake, brain balance, and cognitive health.
CALMING SUPPLEMENTS FOR PUPPIES
Here are some ingredients in supplements that can help your puppy calm down:
Chamomile - Known for calming properties in both humans and pets. Plus, it has anti-inflammatory properties and can ease signs of stress and anxiety.
Passion Flower - Also known for its naturally calming properties, it also helps with anxiety.
Valerian Root - Herbal supplement with mild sedative properties.
L-Theanine - Amino acid that promotes calmness and decreases negative behaviors that can occur out of stress.
Magnesium Citrate - Essential macromineral that helps support a healthy immune system, helps bones remain strong, maintains normal muscle function, and more.
Together, these ingredients will produce a calming response. Use this product when a relaxing response is wanted.
GUT HEALTH & IMMUNITY PUPPY SUPPLEMENTS
When we refer to the microbiome, we’re talking about the environment of your dog’s digestive tract that’s made up of bacteria, archaea, viruses, and eukaryotic organisms. All of these organisms work together in a symbiotic relationship, meaning they all work to benefit themselves and their host (AKA your dog).
Your dog’s microbiome is mainly responsible for controlling digestion, inflammatory responses, and immune system -- so it’s pretty important!
Here are some vitamin ingredients that can improve your puppy's gut & immunity health:
Pumpkin - Contains vitamins like A, C, and E, minerals like potassium and iron, and is great for digestion.
Chicory Root - Effective prebiotic that helps support healthy bacteria in the gut and improves the immune system.
Yea-Sacc OA® - Yeast culture that will promote digestion and utilization of nutrients.
Tynagen™ - Postbiotic that optimizes gut health and overall pup health
Immunity blend - Contains probiotics to improve immunity, and help with a host of different issues like poor health, allergies, an upset stomach, bad breath, gas, diarrhea, and more.
Colostrum - Promotes immunity, fights infections, and improves gut health throughout the life of the pet.
These ingredients support and create a healthy gut biome for your puppy.
SUPER PUP: AN ALL-AROUND SUPPLEMENT FOR DOGS & PUPPIES
Plus, try this that is good for all ages. It was specially formulated with gut health, skin & coat, and joint health in mind. Here’s a quick overview of the ingredients we include in our Super Pup supplements to support dogs as they get older:
- Green-Lipped Mussel to reduce inflammation and discomfort.
- helps alleviate discomfort, especially in joints.
- Pumpkin supports digestive health with natural fiber.
- MSM aids in reducing inflammation and discomfort.
- Chondroitin promotes water retention and elasticity in cartilage.
- Digestive Enzymes help regulate healthy digestion in your dog's gut.
- Proprietary Biotics Blend is specially formulated with prebiotics, probiotics, and postbiotics.
RECAP OF PUPPY VITAMINS
When introducing new supplements it is essential to get your veterinarian's expert advice so you don’t over-supplement your pup. This can have rare, but serious health consequences such as toxic buildup in the liver or fat tissue.
There are many reasons why a pet parent or veterinarian may want to start giving a dog more supplements, whether it’s from a vitamin deficiency or a proactive, preventative approach. Taking care of your puppy's health and wellness from a young age can help them live a long and happy life!