Mistakes to Avoid When Grooming Your Dog at Home | Pupford
October 23rd, 2023
Filed under Podcasts
Grooming your dog at home can be a money-saver, but it also comes with its own challenges and potential problems. We’re going to cover some common mistakes to avoid when grooming your dog at home!
INTRODUCTION OF QUINCI
Quinci has grooming dogs since 2007. She is also and CPR certified and is continually attending seminars to improve her knowledge of dogs and grooming. Quinci also is a part of a grooming group in Utah that aims to raise the quality of pet grooming standards. Not to mention, she has won Groomer of the Year twice in Utah!
LISTEN TO PODCAST
OVERVIEW OF MISTAKES TO AVOID WHEN GROOMING AT HOME
WHAT ARE SOME INITIAL TIPS OR ADVICE YOU HAVE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO TRY GROOMING THEIR DOG AT HOME? ()
- Obtain the right tools that are made specifically for dogs
- Brush your dog every other day
- Check your dog’s coat often for ticks and fleas
- Check your dog’s pads
- Get Vet approved products for cleaning ears, brushing teeth, etc.
- Using human products
- Not researching how to groom your dog and just going for it (trimming hair, brushing them, etc.) which can result in injury
- Being prepared if a mistake does happen
- Vet wrap
- Cotton balls
- Alcohol swabs
- Have product to minimize or stop the bleeding if something does happen
- Assuming where the vain is and cutting too far
- Use flour or cornstarch to stop bleeding
- What to do instead: snip a little at a time until you feel more comfortable with it
- Be patient with it
- Using human toothpaste
- Set up a little spot where your dog can feel comfortable then start grooming there
- Start slow
- Take your time
- Consistently check your dog and feel for different things and problems that can come up
- Focus on breed specific videos and research when grooming your dog
There is a lot to learn when grooming your dog at home. If you are considering grooming your dog yourself, remember to start slow, do your research, and know what you are getting yourself into.